I love breaks from school, it’s a great way to recharge my energy and slow down.
Also, I love breaks because I ACTUALLY have time to bake, cook & make more home cooked food in general! Whenever I’m busy with school, I end up not having time to cook, which causes me to buy food from school (not much of a selection). I don’t like eating out often, because I want to know what goes in my food & the amount of every ingredient. This spring break I did eat out pretty often though. It’s because I hungout with my friends more & wanted to spend time out of my house… because of no school obviously!
Yesterday afternoon I went to the gym and decided I wanted to bake something. I finished up BBG week 2 yesterday. I can’t believe I pushed myself so hard these past 2 weeks by going to the gym everyday, and I’m so proud of myself. I feel so much stronger everyday. I ran 2 straight miles at 7.5mph! 2 miles in 16 minutes, not bad! I’m slowly improving. Then I fast walked at 4.0 mph for 40 minutes. I was pretty tired, and I’m sore from my full body workout on Friday. So when I came home I decided to make egg white muffins, which are only 35 calories with 8g of protein EACH!!! I usually drink a scoop of protein powder w/ 8 oz of water after my resistance training workouts (MWF), but I wanted to make some food today! Since I won’t have time when school starts again.
Ingredients (Makes 12 small muffins)
1 tbsp olive oil & 1 tsp to oil baking pan
3 egg whites
2 cups raw spinach
2 mini bell peppers
1/3 cup onions
Salt & Pepper to taste
You can also substitute ingredients in and out! Change up your vegetables. Add some broccoli or asparagus. Add certain vegetables more than others if you like. Add some ground turkey for more protein. Add some cheese if you love cheese. Everyones tastebuds are different so have fun with it!
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
2. Chop all your vegetables into small chunks
3. Add 1 tbsp of oil into pan to saute onions and bell peppers for about 2-3 minutes or until they lightly turn brown
4. Then take out the onions + peppers and add your vegetables and saute for 2-3 minutes as well
5. Add the onions and bell peppers back in with the vegetables and mix it all together in the pan with a sprinkle of salt & pepper to taste
6. Evenly distribute the mixed vegetables into your cupcake tin (about 1/3 of each tin)
7. Fill the muffin tin with the egg whites until it is 3/4 to the top. Make sure you leave a little room at the top because they will rise
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are a little crispy and brown at the top. You can check by poking a chopstick into the middle. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
9. Enjoy eating your healthy guilt-free muffins!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Serving Size: 2 muffins
Fat: 2.4 grams
Carbs: 5 grams
Dietary Fiber: 1.7 grams
These can be stored in your fridge for a couple of days and reheated when you want to eat them. It’s a perfect mid-morning snack to go. You can also keep them in your freezer too, but they’re the best fresh and eaten within 1-2 days! I’m going to make changes to this recipe & find the best. I love my meat, so I’ll probably be adding some ground turkey or chicken to this recipe next time.
I love eating healthy! Why? Because eating healthy fuels my body with the right nutrients. Which powers me through my workouts & provides my body efficient energy that doesn’t allow me to crash after a workout (which is what high processed sugary foods do). When I eat unhealthy, I fatigue more easily and generally feel more tired throughout the day. My body got use to healthy foods now because when I don’t eat the right foods my body wants, my body reacts in a way where I feel sick. Also, eating healthy can be delicious and it’s not only chicken and broccoli!!