Last week I made Turkey Spinach Meatloaf Cups. This week, I made turkey meatloaf in a loaf pan! It’s a different recipe though. I wanted to create a very juicy & tender recipe so I made some ingredient swaps.
This recipe I used: Breadcrumbs instead of oat flour. Diced veggies + spinach instead of just spinach. Chunky salsa as a flavor enhancer and to keep it moist while baking.
I was worried in baking it in a loaf pan. I didn’t know how it would turn out because I thought it would dry out before the insides would be done. This was why I used foil to cover the top 25-30 mins into baking. This acted as a way of “steaming” so moisture is trapped, preventing the meatloaf from drying out. It actually helped a lot! Some people use this method in baking chicken because chicken tends to dry out when baked at high temperatures for a long duration.
Recipe Yields: 10 loaf slices
- 1 lb (16 oz) ground turkey
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup zucchini & yellow squash
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Braggs Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste (also depends on how strong your salsa is)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients.
- Grease a loaf pan & gently press down mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven & lightly cover pan with foil (where it can still breathe)
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Let the loaf cool down for 15-20 minutes. Then cut up into loaves, eat fresh or freeze them for later.
Nutrition Facts: 1/10 Slice
Calories: 82 calories
Carbs: 3 grams
Protein: 15 grams
Fat: .8 grams
Sodium: 158 grams