I’ve been craving enchiladas and anything with tortillas really…. haha! Tacos, burritos, quesadillas, you name it. I craved it. So I decided to make these enchiladas! The most important thing with enchiladas is the sauce. The sauce is the real flavor here! I have a great enchilada sauce recipe here that I got to test around at work 🙂 I’m so excited to finally share it now!
Sauce is made & enchiladas are rolled up & sprinkled with some nut cheese!
Right out the oven. After adding cilantro + grape tomatoes on top!
Recipe Yields: 3 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes // Cook Time: 30 minutes // Total Time: 1 hour
For the Enchilada Sauce:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 whole red onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetarian broth
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Enchiladas:
- 6 Corn tortillas (I used Siete almond flour tortillas)
- 2 large chicken breasts – shredded (I boiled & shredded it)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced & halved
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese (I used Parmela creamery)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- While in oven in preheating, start preparing enchilada sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan, add olive oil and red onion (leave about 1/4 cup on side) & saute until translucent.
- Then add in cumin, basil, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and stir until combined well.
- Add tomato sauce, vegetarian broth, flour and salt + pepper to taste.
- Leave it on low to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the glass pyrex baking dish (~9×13).
- To make the enchiladas, add chicken, zucchini + mushrooms & sprinkle of cheddar cheese in a tortilla.
- Roll them up and do the same with the remaining of the tortillas.
- Pour the rest of enchilada sauce when enchiladas are all assembled.
- Sprinkle cheese & extra raw onions on top.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove foil & bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven & cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro & grape tomatoes. Add avocado if desired!