I had 3 pound of sweet potatoes on my counter so I made fries with some and the rest went into the making of a batch of sweet potato brownies!
They’re SO FUDGEY. Halfway through baking, it smelled up the whole house and I couldn’t wait to take them out the oven! I’ve made sweet potato brownies before but I always love reinventing my recipes by playing with new ingredients!
The sweet potato is what makes this recipe SO fudgey while giving it some hint of natural sweetness. Creamy almond butter works as a binder and gives some fudgey texture as well! Maple syrup works here as a unrefined sweetener – it can also be subbed for honey if you’d like! I added 100% cacao powder to give it a brownie flavor. I also added carob chips which comes from the pod of a tree. Carob chips are mild and have a natural slightly sweet and toasty flavor! I tried it for the first time this month & I’ve been…obsessed.
The flax chia blend is a mix of milled flaxseeds and chia seeds. This blend is loaded with Omega 3’s, fiber, antioxidants and are a great balanced of energy and nutrients, aka a “superfood”! I like to add this flax chia blend into my oats, smoothies, baked products or energy balls! They’re a great way to boost up your nutrient intake!
Recipe Yields: 9 servings (9 squares)
Prep Time: 5 minutes / Cook Time: 15 minutes / Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 cup mashed sweet potato (I removed the skin & steamed it until soft)
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp Carrington Farms organic flax chia blend
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup carob chips
- Toppings: carob chips, flax chia blend sprinkle, more creamy nut butter
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mashed sweet potato, creamy almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add in cacao powder, flax chia blend and sea salt.
- Gently fold in carob chips with a spatula.
- Pour into a 8 x 8 baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Top with more carob chips and crumbled chocolate bits.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool. Cut into 9 squares and enjoy! 🙂