Behold the secret ingredient in these bars…butternut squash!!! I was walking down the grocery aisle the other day and saw it in the canned section. I grabbed it without planning how to use it. I decided to get creative and bake it into a bar!
It’s amazing how so many ingredients can work into a variety of baked recipes now. For example, sweet potatoes! You can bake it into a cake, bars and even brownies. It works as a natural sweetener and contributes to a fudgey texture.
These cashew butternut bars are SO good. It’s a cakey texture, just a hint of sweetness & is perfect warmed up as a snack 🙂 I was so happy with how they turned out! First of all, butternut squash is packed with vitamin A, which is helpful in protecting your eyesight! Butternut squash is also a great source of the two antioxidants zeaxanthin and lutein! I mean, if I can add in a kick of extra nutrients into a baked recipe, I’d definitely do it!
I love roasting squash in a savory dish but this recipe was definitely a twist. A well-worth delicious twist. The main base of this baked bar is butternut squash and cashew butter which worked SO WELL together! It’s so moist too (sorry if you hate that word)!!
I mean.. look at it. Just look at it!
I hope you looked.
Cashew butter, butternut squash, maple syrup & vanilla extract. You mix these 4 ingredients together first!
After, I added in almond flour and the other ingredients. Keep scrolling for the full recipe!
You know you want it.
Result after cooling for 30 minutes and cut up into 9 bars! IT’S IMPORTANT to let it cool first or else it will crumble. I’m just warning you because you’d probably want to dig in ASAP 😉
Recipe Yields: 9
Total Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup pureed butternut squash (I bought it in a can w/ no added ingredients)
- 3/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper & spray with oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together butternut squash, cashew butter, maple syrup & vanilla extract.
- Add in almond flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into baking pan, smoothing the top wth a spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Make sure you let it cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing or else it will crumble.
Let me know if you make any changes to this recipe or subbed any ingredients! Also, tag me on Instagram –> winniesbalance_ if you do make the recipe! I’d love to see them! 🙂
Nutrition Facts: 1 bar