Do you ever go to sleep thinking about what to have for breakfast? I do all the time. I plan it out in my head because I get so excited for breakfast foods! I typically have toast, oatmeal or pancakes. I decided to switch it up a bit to make a savory bowl!
It was my first time making a savory breakfast bowl like this. It definitely won’t be the last! The asian in me thinks of porridge or “juk” – which is what I eat in cold weather or when I’m sick. It’s so comforting!
Recipe Yields: 1 bowl
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat cereal
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of sea salt + garlic powder
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Garnish: cilantro, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt
- In a medium pot, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil and add buckwheat cereal.
- Turn down to low heat and add a pinch of sea salt and garlic powder.
- Cook half covered for 10 minutes, stirring often (ever 1-2 minutes).
- After 8 minutes, add in spinach and stir until cooked.
- Transfer buckwheat cereal to a bowl.
- Heat up a small pan with some olive oil/ghee butter.
- Saute mushrooms and cook a fried egg.
- Place mushroom and eggs on top of buckwheat cereal.
- Garnish with cilantro, red pepper flakes and black pepper.