This is like an upgraded macaroni and cheese sauce. It’s so creamy and tastes great tossed in pasta or even as a dipping sauce for fries! I had several butternut squashes sitting on my counter at home so I had to find something to do with it. Nutritional yeast is one of my favorite condiments to add on top of savory foods because of it’s “cheesy” flavor. I make my cheesy tahini sauce all the time as a dip for my fries, vegetables or chicken.
You have to try out this sauce! It’s definitely one of my top favorites and will be on repeat in my kitchen.
Recipe Yields: 2 cups
Prep Time: 3 hours // Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash
- 1 cup soaked cashews (~3 hours)
- 1/2 cup water/milk
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Toss butternut squash cubes with avocado oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake butternut squash for at least 25-30 minutes, tossing in between.
- When done, place butternut squash, soaked cashews, water/milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a high-speed blender.
- You may need to add more water or milk depending on desired texture.
- Toss with your favorite pasta or even use as a dipping sauce for fries!
- Place in a sealed container and leave it in your fridge for up to 5 days.