Baked carrot cake donuts. Shredded carrots, crushed walnuts and raisins. These textures work SO well together. The raisins give a subtle sweetness and chewy texture, the walnuts give a hit of crunch in every bite and carrots.. well, beta carotene! Nothing like getting some some veggies while eating donuts right? 😉
If you were to ask me if I liked yeast donuts or cake donuts – I’d choose cake donuts. Some people disagree because it’s like a “muffin” or “cake”. It’s just my preference! Of course I still love my yeast donuts though 🙂
I got my muffin pan from amazon. It was an impulsive purchase. I was scrolling through baking pans and came across a DONUT PAN! Well.. I had to get it. I used it the day it got shipped to my house. Shoutout to amazon 2 day prime shipping.
The donuts are made with almond flour, making this gluten free! First of all, I’m not gluten free. I eat all the gluten. I’ve just been experimenting with almond flour because I love the nutty taste. I like to add crushed nuts into my baked goods & breakfast foods whenever I get the chance.
I made two types of icing – vanilla cream cheese and chocolate cream cheese. I was planning to make them all vanilla cream cheese at first. But when I spotted the chocolate chips on my table, I thought… why not?! I melted some chocolate chips and chocolate cream cheese icing was born.
I topped them off with crushed walnuts and raisins.
First bite into the donut and definitely not the last.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Vanilla cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- (for chocolate frosting - just add in 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips to recipe above)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray donut pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients; almond flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, mix together wet ingredients; maple syrup, eggs, almond milk and melted butter.
- Slowly pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Gently stir in shredded carrots, walnuts and raisins.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- To make the frosting, using a small bowl, melt the butter and mix into cream cheese.
- Add in almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- When donuts are done, let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and dip donuts into glaze and set on parchment paper.
- These donuts can be placed on the countertop for 2 days or up to 5 days in the fridge.