After trying a pesto rice dish at a restaurant in LA recently, I was inspired to go home and recreate it! Add a fried egg on top of pesto rice, you won’t regret it.
I added grape tomatoes and mushrooms in the rice so I can have some veggies with it too! Adding a hint squeeze of lemon really gives it a nice kick! The crispy fried egg on top is so good when you break the yolk and allow it to ooze in the rice.
This is such a simple yet tasty way to flavor up plain rice!
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 cup pesto
- 4 fried eggs
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- Fresh lemon (to taste)
- Garnish of radish sprouts and red pepper flakes
- Cook rice in a ricecooker or on your stovetop.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms with olive oil in a small pan.
- When rice is cooked, toss with pesto, grape tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms and about ~1-2 tsp lemon juice (to taste).
- Coat a medium pan with olive oil and crack egg and fry until crispy.
- Place a fried egg on top of a bowl of 1 cup rice.
- Top with radish sprouts and red pepper flakes.
- *I cook my rice beforehand and leave it in the fridge overnight to release some moisture before tossing it with pesto the next day.
- **I used premade pesto.