Chicken breast cooked in fresh garlic, marinara sauce and capers! Such an easy weeknight dinner that works so well as leftovers!
I added capers which give a burst of flavor to this dish. The flavor is described as lemony, olivey and a little salty. It adds a great hint of tanginess and texture to many chicken dishes. I first tried capers for the first time when I made a chicken piccata, which is a lemon butter flavored dish. Since then, I’ve been finding new ways to incorporate it into recipes like this. You can also add it on top of cream cheese and salmon toast for breakfast of brunch!
In this dish, I added kale and diced onions. You can also bake this dish with breadcrumbs and shredded parmesan on top but I decided to make this more simple by using less ingredients, so I made it a 1 pan meal. I allowed it to simmer in a skillet to bring out the flavor. The chicken breasts are sprinkled with salt, pepper and paprika (for a kick of heat!). Browned garlic and onions are tossed with the chicken to give it some more flavor!
This dish can be served on top of egg noodles, pasta, brown rice or quinoa!
I plated it with brown rice and roasted zucchini.
Marinara and Garlic Caper Chicken
Author: Winnie Liong
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
Recipe makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast cutlet **
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breast cutlets
- salt, pepper, paprika to taste
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 1 1/4 cups basil marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups kale
- Preheat a large pan to medium-high heat with olive oil.
- Add chicken breast pieces and brown on both sides, adding salt, pepper and paprika on both sides.
- When both sides are browned, about 10 minutes, remove from pan and leave to side. The insides do not need to be fully cooked yet.
- Bring down to low-medium heat. In the same pan, add another 1 tbsp olive oil. Add diced onion with minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce, capers and dried basil.
- Add chicken to pan, cover in sauce and stir in kale. Cook covered for 6-8 more minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.