A plant-based recipe with simmered lentils, onions, peppers, crushed tomatoes and other flavors until thickened to be tossed with fettuccini! This is a nutritious recipe package with fiber and iron!
I’ve been trying to find ways to use up the lentils in my pantry and a bolognese came to mind!
I’ve been needing to increase my iron intake in pregnancy so I added in lentils to simmer with the sauce! I also added in a red bell pepper (source of vitamin C) which helps with absorbing iron! Lentils make this a plant-based meal and is packed with nutrients like fiber and folate!
- 8 oz fettuccini, spaghetti or other pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14.5 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and leave to side.
- Preheat a large pot to medium heat with olive oil, then add garlic, onion and red bell peppers to cook until softened.
- Add in broth, canned crushed tomatoes, lentils, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sea salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then bring heat down to simmer uncovered until the lentils are tender and easily smashed with a fork, about 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom!
- Add in spinach to wilt and turn off heat. Serve over pasta and toss!