Cinnamon sweet potato layer on a granola crust. It’s like a sweet potato casserole in a sweet dessert bar form. It’s such a unique and fun dessert to make for a holiday party or just for yourself to enjoy on a nights in when you feel like getting those baking mitts on!
What do you do when you have 5 pounds of sweet potatoes on your counter? You get creative and make sweet potato bars.
I was going to make sweet potato brownies but that’s nothing new. I wanted to venture out so I made a two layer bar. I love contrasting textures so I made a crust with granola + ghee. The top layer was a soft sweet potato layer.
The granola and ghee crust mixture should be a bit crumbly but will stay together when you press it down. Here’s the base of the bars. Just two ingredients because I like to be minimal with my ingredients. If it gets the job done with just two ingredients, I’d stick to two. There’s no need to add anything else unless I’m craving other specific flavors or spices.
After coming out the oven, they’re crumbly but that’s why the cooling process is super important in this recipe! Many times, baked goods will seem undone out the oven but once they cool down, they will settle!
Sweet Potato Bars With Granola Crust
- 2 cups granola
- 1/3 cup ghee/butter melted
Sweet Potato Layer
- 1 1/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper.
- Add granola and melted ghee or butter into a food processor.
- Press granola crust mixture onto bottom of pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sweet potato and egg. Add in coconut sugar, coconut flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix until a soft spreadable consistency forms.
- Using a spatula, spread evenly on top of the crust layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into bars. Refrigerate the rest.
Leave a Reply