This 20-minute recipe is tangy, sweet and so delicious. A easy recipe all cooked in one pan perfect for busy weeknights! The chicken is coated in a homemade sweet and sour sauce. This is better than takeout!
There are many asian dishes I grew up with and sweet and sour chicken, pork and beef was up there on my list. Some other asian dishes I had often are Lo Mein, Honey Garlic Shrimp and Chicken Fried Rice. These were all common dishes at the dinner table and ordered when I was eating at restaurants.
It’s so comforting to remake these dishes at home. Especially with quarantine, I’ve been experimenting with new flavors, changing up flavors and just having fun in the kitchen!
I used green beans, peas, onions and broccoli as my veggies. If you have other leftover veggies like bell peppers or mushrooms, feel free to use that instead. Stir-fries are my go-to! I love how I can just throw all I need to use up into the same pan. The most important aspect to the stir-fry is the sauce! Sweet and sour sauce, garlic, soy sauce and coconut aminos are just a few of my favorites.
Did you know, you can regrow your own green onions? When you use up the green portions, add the white roots into a small jar of water, just enough to submerge the roots. You need to switch out the water every 1-2 days. Within a week, it will regrow to full length! I find that each green onion can grow out three to four extra times!
Did you know you can also keep your cilantro and parsley longer when you place the roots in a jar of water in your fridge? There’s these little hacks I found out about during quarantine.
Looking back, I feel like time flew by during quarantine, but a lot has happened and I discovered new things!
- I got married in June and moved to LA! Our wedding was suppose to be in March, but was postponed for 3 months due to circumstances. Here’s our wedding day story!
- Got into plants. My first one was a Snake plant, then came my Monstera, Zz and pothos!
- Watched my first kdrama ever and became overly obsessed. Like literally so obsessed… that the only songs I listened to for a week was the Crash Landing on You playlist on Spotify.
- Picked up my blog again. Now, all my recipes from my Instagram are on my blog and I’m active in posting them consistently. This makes it much easier for you all to find my recipes!
- Started playing Animal Crossing. I never play games so actually spending more than one day actually playing a game meant something!
- Morning runs and walks. Jovin and I began waking up earlier before it gets too hot. It’s so nice to get some fresh air before a long day working inside our apartment!
There’s a lot more and I look forward to learning and discovering new things! 🙂
Sweet and Sour Chicken – (Better Than Takeout!)
- 2 chicken breasts chunks
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5-6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chili paste sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients except cornstarch. Place chicken in bowl to marinate.
- Preheat pan with oil and cook veggies until softened, then leave to side.
- Coat pan with more sesame oil. Add in chicken breast chunks, reserving about 1/2 of the sweet and sour sauce.
- When chicken juices run clear, add in rest of sauce, cornstarch and toss in veggies.
- Mix all together and place on top of rice!