Super creamy butternut squash mac and cheese! This recipe is dairy-free and so flavorful with the squash base! A delicious fall recipe perfect for fall meals and Thanksgiving!
I’m in love with this recipe right now! I love mac and cheese and grew up eating it as a kid but when I became lactose intolerant I could no longer have regular mac and cheese. I needed to find alternatives with dairy-free cheeses and this one is a DELICIOUS alternative that incorporates a fall squash for more flavor!
Butternut squash is one of my favorite squashes so you bet I’ll be using them in a variety of recipes this fall season! They delicious roasted into salads, into grain bowls or even on pizzas!
The base of the sauce is butternut squash, soaked cashews and nutritional yeast. Of course, there’s lots of seasonings to help flavor the creamy sauce!
Creamy Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese (Dairy-Free)
- 1 butternut squash about 4 cubs cubed
- 12 oz macaroni pasta
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup almond milk more as needed to thin
- Bring a pot to water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- To quick soak cashews, add into hot but not boiling water for 10 minutes. You can also soak them overnight for this recipe.
- If using a whole butternut squash, cut into cubes and cover with water in a large pot to boil for 7-8 minutes until softened and easily pierced with a fork. Drain and add into blender along with cashews, nutritional yeast, onion powder, sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic and almond milk. Add more milk as needed to thin.
- Pour sauce over cooked macaroni pasta to toss.
I love squash sauce! Your recipe looks really good.
Thank you! It’s delicious!