Did someone say soup season? This is perfect for the cozy fall/winter weather! The potatoes are cooked in a pot until softened and puréed in a blender with coconut milk and other flavors, making it dairy-free! Perfect to make ahead and pair with your favorite sandwich!
This recipe was waaay easier than I expected! Who loves soup season? It’s not only pumpkin or pie season, but soup season in the fall/winter! I have a bunch of soups lined up to make and this potato soup made it on the top list! This recipe was so creamy and blended until smooth with coconut milk. I also reserved some chunks of potatoes on the side to add in after for more texture!
Here’s the ingredients I used! Chicken stock, full-fat coconut milk (from an Asian market), russet potatoes, yellow onion, garlic, sea salt, pepper and thyme. It’s just a few ingredients which makes you want to make this recipe EVEN more right?? You need to try it!
I removed the skin from all the potatoes and boiled them in the broth until softened and a fork can easily be stabbed through. After, allow it to cool before adding into a blender until smooth!
Creamy Dairy-Free Potato Soup
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large pot, add diced potatoes, chicken broth, garlic and diced onion. Bring to a boil and simmer for 6-8 minutes until potatoes are softened.
- Remove a cup of potatoes and leave to the side. This will be added back into the soup AFTER.
- Allow soup to cool for 10 minutes before adding into a blender along with a cup of coconut milk to blend until smooth.
- Season with salt, pepper, and dried thyme – stir well. Add reserved cup of potatoes back into soup and serve in bowls with chopped chives, chopped bacon, croutons and/or shredded cheese!