An easy turkey fried rice recipe packed with sesame flavors and veggies. It’s a great alternative to your typical Chinese takeout! You can easily customize it with your choice of protein or favorite veggies!
Whenever I go out to a Chinese restaurant, I pick a noodle dish, veggie dish and a fried rice! Two of my favorites is a scallop egg white fried rice and Yang Chow fried rice. Yang Chow fried rice is a popular Chinese-style fried rice with the main ingredients of char siu (BBQ pork), shrimp, scallions, eggs, peas and carrots!
Fried rice is such an easy dish to make. When I look back to my college days – this was a dish I made often because it’s so easy to throw together! Whenever I make rice and also want to make fried rice in the near future, I cook it at least a day ahead of time and leave it in the fridge.
Day-old fried rice is the best option for fried rice!
If you make fried rice with stick, warm and fresh rice, it will turn out soggy, especially if you add in the soy sauce and other ingredients.
In this recipe, I used frozen vegetables – peas, corn, shredded carrots and green beans. I cook the veggies in some sesame oil on high heat, which helps it crisp up without getting all soggy like most frozen veggies.
You can always go lighter on the soy sauce and stir in a little more at the end once the rice is off the heat!
Garlic Sesame Turkey Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz ground turkey
- 2 cups frozen vegetables peas, carrots, corn, green beans
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp green onions and more to garnish
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds to garnish
- In a large wok, add sesame oil and cook egg. Remove from pan and leave to side.
- Add more sesame oil to wok and cook garlic until fragrant, then add ground turkey to cook for 3-4 minutes until no longer pink. Add in frozen vegetables and cook until thawed.
- Turn down to low heat. Add in cooked rice, egg, soy sauce, sesame oil and green onions. Stir until all combined. Garnish with extra green onions and sesame seeds on top!