These ribs were so tender and braised in a savory sweet sauce! It was easy to pull apart! A small red apple was grated into the sauce for a little special sweet flavor!
These short ribs are so flavorful, tender and easy to pull apart! The ribs are submerged in the braising sauce and simmered to full flavor! The ribs will slowly absorb up the sauce as it cooks. I like to eat this with rice.
You’ll know these ribs are done when you try to cut them with a fork and it’ll tear easily!
Korean Short Ribs (Galbi Jjim)
- 5 cups water
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1/2 onion diced into 1" pieces
- 6 clove garlic minced
- 2 large carrots cut into chunks
- 5-6 shiitake mushrooms quartered
- 4 scallions chopped
Short Rib Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 small red apple grated
- 1 tablepoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Trim off excess fat on ribs and add into a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes to draw out any extra blood, then drain the ribs.
- In a large pot, add 5 cups of water to bring to boil. Add in ribs, onion and garlic to boil for 5-6 minutes.
- While ribs are cooking, whisk together short rib sauce. Leave to side.
- When ribs are done, drain and rinse ribs. Then place back into pot with 2 cups water. Add in 1/2 of the sauce and move around ribs to coat. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add in veggies; carrots and shiitake mushrooms. Pour in the other 1/2 of sauce. Simmer covered for another 20 minutes.
- Stir in scallions and turn off heat! Serve with steam rice and top with sesame seeds + more green onions!