This is a common Chinese sweet dessert with glutinous rice balls! Sweet and chewy yang yuan (mochi/rice balls) in warm red bean soup!
This recipe is a favorite I grew up on! I used to CRAVE this red bean soup after Chinese banquet meals all the time. I’d ask for seconds and third bowls!
Trust me, this is a winner!
Red Bean Soup (Hong Dou Tang) // 紅豆湯
- 1 fresh orange peel or dried tangerine peel (chenpi)
- 1 cup adzuki beans red beans
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
Glutinous rice balls
- 1 cup glutinous rice balls
- 6-8 tablespoons of water
- Rehydrate mandarin peel by soaking in warm water for 15 minutes. Scrape off part of the white part inside the peel if there is any!
- Rinse red beans and place inside instant pot with peel and water.
- Close lid and set to “sealing”. Press the pressure cooker button, keeping it on high pressure. Set the timer for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, wait for 10 minutes before releasing the pressure. Remove the lid and stir in brown sugar to taste with a pinch of salt – to taste!
- If you want to add tang yuan balls (rice balls), mix together flour and water to add into boiling water until balls float to the surface, then cook for another 30 seconds. Toss into warm soup and serve!