Thickly sliced sourdough pan-fried to a perfect golden crisp perfection! Topped with a cinnamon apple walnut topping sautéed in coconut oil and brown sugar. Sweet, nutty and satisfies those french toast cravings!
One of my favorite breads to use for french toast is a thick slice of sourdough! Sourdough holds it shape when soaked and pan-fried. It doesn’t get all soggy like sliced white or wheat bread. Brioche or any thick stale bread works if you don’t have sourdough. However, I do highly recommend sourdough. It gives such a unique flavor to french toast!
When it comes to topping my french toasts, I like to add nut butter, maple syrup, chia seed jam, a fruit + nut topping, seeds and more! You can get creative with what you add on top!
I made an Apple Walnut Topping which was the perfect way to use up the batch of apples on my counter! This topping can also be added on top of pancakes as well!
I used my blueberry chia seed jam as a side for dipping! It’s one of my favorites for toast, french toast and pancakes 🙂
There are no special fancy ingredients in this recipe. It just requires eggs, almond milk, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg! Nutmeg brings a warm nutty flavor and cinnamon is pretty much a staple ingredient in my sweet breakfasts. I add it in my pancake and waffle batter, mix it into my oatmeal and sprinkle it on my toasts!
Sourdough French Toast with Apple Walnut Topping
- 1 slice sourdough sliced into sticks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp coconut oil, for cooking
Brown Sugar Walnut Topping
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 apple peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp crushed walnuts
- Cut sourdough or french toast bread into sticks.
- In a low shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Dip all sides of bread into egg mixture and allow to soak for at least 5 minutes.
- While waiting for it to soak, peel and chop apple into chunks. Leave to side.
- Preheat pan to low-medium heat with 2 tsp coconut oil. Add french toast sticks into pan and cook all sides until golden brown. Remove from pan onto serving plate.
- Add another 1 tsp coconut oil into the same pan on low-medium heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and crush walnuts. cook and sauté for 4-5 minutes until apple is tender. Place on top of french toast and top with maple syrup!