Creamy butternut squash soup, topped with coconut yogurt, pepitas and pecans on top. Dairy-free and naturally sweet from the squash itself!
Fall recipes will forever be my favorite! It’s just so cozy! I love soups, especially ones that include squash like this 🙂 Butternut squash can be used in soups, roasted in bowls or pureed to be used in baked recipes.
Every time I buy a butternut squash, I create 2-3 recipes with it because there’s so much flesh to use! If you want, you can cut this recipe in half and use the other half to make my honey pecan butternut squash bread or butternut squash bars!
Butternut squash can be used in place of a mashed banana or mashed sweet potato in many recipes. It’s naturally sweet and gives moisture to many baked recipes. Butternut squash has a bright orange color so it’s high in vitamin A, which gets converted to beta-carotene, promoting eye health!
This soup is perfect to cozy up to during the fall and winter season! You can also freeze them into cubes to save them for the summer! 🙂
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash halved and seeded
- olive oil, for brushing
- salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 cups bone broth
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cut butternut squash in half and brush the insides with olive oil. sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place on baking tray faced down and bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, saute onions and minced garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes until soft and fragrant. Leave to side and patiently wait for the squash to finish baking!
- When the butternut squash is done, it should be soft when gently poked. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop all of butternut squash filling into a blender/food processor along with the cooked onion + garlic mixture, bone broth, cinnamon and nutmeg. It should blend smoothly.
- Pour soup back into large pot and stir in coconut milk.
- Add into bowl and serve with pepitas and pecans on top!