Garlic basil chicken meatballs made with fresh basil and plenty of seasonings making this recipe packed with flavor! These meatballs are great to make ahead of time and a delicious weeknight meal!
They are perfect to be tossed in spaghetti, spaghetti squash or a meatball sub!
I added basil into these meatballs which was a small addition but makes a big difference in flavor! Italian flavored meatballs is one of my favorites – basil and marinara! Basil adds a fragrant, sweet smell and peppery taste. It is used widely for a variety of foods including soups, poultry, meat and pizza. The vibrant colors of the basil makes it popular in many Italian dishes such as fruit salads or as a topping for pizza!
The egg in this recipe work as a binder to keep all the ingredients together. I also like to sneak in veggies whenever I get the chance!
I made this recipe which lasted me several meals, which I’m not complaining about!
Spaghetti squash is in the gourd family. It’s non-starchy and has a firm yellow flesh. The flavor would be described as slightly nutty and sweet, making it perfect for olive oil and tomato-based sauces. After it’s cooked, the flesh becomes stringy, just like stands of spaghetti.
It has 2.2 grams of fiber in 1 cup, which is a nutrient we all need more of! Spaghetti squash is a great source of vitamin A, keeping your skin and eyes healthy!
Tips For Cooking Spaghetti Squash
1. Cutting Up Spaghetti Squash: Before attempting to cut spaghetti squash in half, microwave for 5 minutes to soften up. This way, it will be easier to cut through.
2. Poke Holes: Using a fork, poke 3 different holes on each half through the skin side of the spaghetti squash. This way, it will allow the spaghetti squash to cook evenly.
3. Don’t overcook: Roast for 45 minutes, just until the fork easily breaks through the squash into stands and isn’t mushy.
Spaghetti Squash Boats with Garlic Basil Chicken Meatballs
- 1 whole spaghetti squash halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
Garlic Basil Chicken Meatballs
- 16 oz ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup raw vegetables chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chopped basil can sub 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan or nutritional yeast optional
- olive oil, for cooking
Marinara Sauce Mixture
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 gloves garlic minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- To prep spaghetti squash, preheat oven to 425F. Microwave the squash for 4-5 minutes to soften up, then cut in half.
- Brush each half with olive oil/ghee and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 55-60 minutes. While it’s baking, prep your marinara + meatballs!
- Prepare garlic basil chicken meatballs by mixing all ingredients together and roll into balls. Preheat a large skillet with olive oil and cook meatballs on skillet until browned and cooked throughout.
- In a large skillet, prepare marinara sauce mixture by cooking red onion with garlic cloves in olive oil. Add in 2 cups marinara sauce and halved grape tomatoes. Toss in cooked garlic basil meatballs to simmer on low.
- Once the squash is done, use a fork to shred up the spaghetti squash into strands.
- Add marinara + meatball mixture into both spaghetti squash halves and sprinkle with cheese, then broil for 1 minute for cheese to melt.
- Remove from oven and top with crushed red pepper flakes and more fresh basil!