This recipe is perfect for using up any stale sourdough. Flavored with cinnamon and a hint of coconut sugar, and cooked in coconut oil! Using sourdough in this recipe was so delicious and gave this recipe such a unique and delicious twist!
There’s french toast bites, sticks and the whole slice of bread itself. I love all 3! My favorite has to be bites or sticks though – it’s just more fun to eat!
I made a strawberry cherry chia seed jam to dip my french toast in. My strawberry cherry chia seed jam is made using my Blueberry Chia Seed Jam recipe. Instead of using 1 cup blueberries, I split 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup cherries – chopped up! I also have some maple syrup because that’s a must! I added crushed walnuts, sliced bananas and some powdered sugar on top for some crunchy texture and sweet fruity flavor!
Recently, I’m trying to budget my weekly groceries a little better. I use to go to the grocery store very often where I lose track of how much I spend, but I’ve been using a tracker to calculate the amount I spend per month. This is helping me be more aware of my grocery costs and to use up what I have at home!
I had an extra bag of chia seeds and powdered sugar in my pantry so I’m trying to find different ways to use them up! This plate is definitely happening again real soon. I love french toast and it’s an easy breakfast option if you have 10 minutes on your hands. They can be served with whatever fresh fruit you have. My favorites currently are definitely bananas, summer berries, cherries, mango and papaya! I always try to have fruit with my breakfast, either with the plate or bowl itself, or on the side in a small bowl!
Cinnamon Sourdough French Toast
- 1 large slice sourdough about 1" thick
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- chia seed jam and maple syrup for dipping
- Cut sourdough slice into sticks.
- In a low bowl, whisk together eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Preheat pan to low-medium heat with 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Add sourdough cubes into egg mixture, toss to coat, then place all into pan to cook.
- Move around with spatula and cook until crispy golden brown on all sides.
- Remove all french toast sticks from pan onto plate and top with fresh fruit, crushed nuts and powdered sugar!