These crispy honey sesame chicken lettuce cups are such a delicious appetizer! The chicken is breaded and tossed in a sweet honey sesame sauce which is absolutely amazing!
This chicken starts with the breading, which is egg and cornstarch. It tasted like it was straight from a Chinese restaurant. I grew up on these recipes so it’s definitely nice to have a homemade version!
The other day, I was getting bored with how I was always cooking chicken the same way. I add it to pasta or make stir fries or fried rice. I had butter lettuce in my fridge and decided to make one of my favorite appetizers – lettuce wraps/cups! I love the asian style lettuce cups with chestnuts, ground pork/chicken, onions and green peppers! I don’t have veggies in this recipe except the lettuce cup itself. The focus here is on the crispy honey sesame chicken.
The sauce is the key to the recipe! It’s a very simple sauce with flavors of garlic, sweet chili, coconut aminos, honey and sesame oil! I’ve been using sesame oil SO much recently. It just makes my food smell SO good and it has a high smoke point. It was the perfect addition to flavor up the sauce and to cook the chicken in!
I picked butter lettuce because it’s a soft type of green lettuce that still holds the chicken. Romaine also works but it’s a harder and more crunchy green if you like that better! Just pick a lettuce that is large and study/flexible enough to hold your chicken!
Crispy Honey Sesame Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 8 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 chicken breast cut into 1" chunks
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
Honey Sesame Sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare baking tray with liner.
- Prepare the dips/coating in 3 separate bowls. In bowl 1, add cornstarch. In bowl 2, add egg. In bowl 3, add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Toss chicken in cornstarch, drip in egg, then into bowl with flour. The chicken should be completely coated!
- Preheat large skillet with sesame oil. add chicken chunks and cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes until well browned. Toss in 1/2 portion of the sauce, then turn off heat. Toss the rest of the sauce in.
- Remove from pan and serve in lettuce cups with a garnish of sesame seeds on top!