This easy, simple and flavorful fried rice gives a feel of comfort and kick of spice in each bite! Ready in just 20 minutes! Top off with a poached or fried egg for extra flavor!
I always only ate the non-spicy banchan (Korean side dishes) growing up. I stayed away from the spicy cucumber salad and kimchi! My tolerance for spicy foods was pretty low… I’d eat like 2 hot cheeto pieces and need water ASAP. I’m a lot better now!
Once I built up my spice tolerance, a new world of foods opened up to me! I love Korean food because it brings me a feel of comfort and a perfect kick of spice! I love dishes with gochujang – tossed into bibimbap or mixed into kimchi jjigae!
Ever since I made kimchi fried rice for the first time, I can’t stop craving it! Whenever I have leftover rice, I throw it together with some veggies + kimchi!
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup kimchi cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions more for garnish
- sesame seeds for garnish
- seaweed strips for garnish
- Preheat pan to medium heat with sesame oil and garlic to cook for about 10 seconds.
- Add in onions, frozen peas + carrots and kimchi to cook for 5-6 minutes until kimchi juices are almost all evaporated.
- Add in rice, kimchi juice and more sesame oil, mix throughly.
- Transfer to bowl with a poached egg on top and garnish with sesame seeds, green onions and seaweed strips!
Hi Winnie! What brand of kimchi do you use?