Udon is easily one of my favorite noodles because it’s thick, chewy and is so delicious in a stir-fry or noodle soup! This stir-fried dish is a savory soy sauce based dish with ground turkey, bok choy and zucchini. This dish was a winner in our home because this batch lasted us only about 24 hours. It’s SO good!
If I had to pick one type of noodle to eat for the rest of my life… udon would be it. I love udon because of it’s chewy texture – it’s springy and neutral in flavor. It also holds onto sauce really well! Udon is chewy Japanese noodles made from wheat flour, water and salt! It’s typically served in a brothy noodle soup but I love it equally in a dry noodle stir-fry!
I used zucchini and shiitake mushrooms in this recipe but you can sub it for other veggies like regular mushrooms and bok choy. You can also sub the ground turkey for other ground meat or even tofu to make it plant-based!
It’s been 7 months postpartum (almost 8 actually) & I finally feel more like myself again. There are some harder days than others, but I feel more confident in what I’m doing as a mom. Every day still has learning moments but I absolutely love this season! My baby is finally crawling so it’s tie to babyproof our home soon… she loves to crawl to my dog, dog treat bag, our phones and the TV remote. It’s all things that are NOT her toys, haha.
I’m finally back in the kitchen more & more inspired to create more recipes! With the remaining 3 months of the year, I have so many plans to make seasonal recipes and more Asian recipes! I’m so happy to be cooking again!!
I also have a Chicken Yaki Udon recipe on my blog! Below is this recipe!
Yaki Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- 8 oz udon noodles
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz ground meat beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 up shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium zucchini sliced and halved
- 2 cups bok choy chopped
- 3 stalks green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and leave to side.
- Cook udon noodles according to package instructions and then drain. leave to side!
- Preheat a large pan to medium heat with oil. Add garlic and ground meat to cook until done. remove from pan and add more oil. Add in mushrooms, zucchini and bok choy to cook. Add ground meat and noodles into pot. Sprinkle green onions in and pour sauce on top. Mix until combined!