Fluffy, filled with veggies and cooked shrimp topped with a light savory sauce! Egg foo young is a Chinese omelette with eggs and shrimp or pork! It typically uses leftover veggies but I like to use bean sprouts and shredded carrots!
This is a recipe that typically uses up leftover veggies with added shrimp or pork. Think your usual breakfast omelette, but with an asian twist especially with the sauce on top! Topped with sesame seeds and green onions, two of my staples!
Chinese Egg Foo Young (Egg + Shrimp Omelette)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups bean sprouts chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz chopped prawns or 4 oz minced meat
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch, vegetable broth and soy sauce.
- Add into a saucepan along with the rest of sauce ingredients; oyster sauce, mirin, sesame oil and garlic powder. Simmer for 1 minute on low heat until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl. Add in soy sauce, bean sprouts, diced yellow onions, shallots and salt and pepper. Mix in chopped prawns.
- Preheat pan to medium heat with 1 teaspoon sesame oil and pour in 1/2 cup portions. Repeat with remaining egg mixture, adding more sesame oil as needed.
- Plate with sauce drizzled on top along with sesame seeds + green onion garnish!