These are turkey meatballs with a base of coconut, hint of sweetness from honey, tartness from lime and a fresh garnish of cilantro flavor!
Marinara and meatballs is one of my favorite dishes to make because it’s effortless, simple and just to tasty to me! I decided to change up the flavors here and make a sauce with coconut milk base, which turned out amazing!
It reminded me of a lighter Thai curry with a touch of honey. This sauce will also go well with a chicken or pork stir-fry as well!
I usually make my meatballs from scratch because I like to control what ingredients go in, and I get to play around with the flavors! This is my go-to meatball recipe which can be subbed with ground chicken or beef! I served it on top of rice and a side of broccolini.
Coconut Cilantro Lime Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raw veggies bell peppers, spinach, zucchini
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- olive oil, for cooking
Creamy Coconut Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp tapioca starch
- 2 stalks green onions
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking pan, leave to side.
- Mix together all meatball ingredients and form into 16-20 meatballs.
- Heat up a skillet with olive oil and cook until browned on the outside. Place on baking tray and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all creamy coconut cilantro lime sauce ingredients into a large pot to simmer on low heat. When meatballs are done, add to pot, toss in sauce and allow to simmer on low for another 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in green onions and cilantro at the end. Serve on top of rice!
Leave a Reply